UBurgos-CS1 19 June 1987,

shopping center ‘Hipercor’, Barcelona.

On 19 June 1987 at 4 p.m., a time of heavy rush of people within the mall, a powerful car bomb exploded on the parking lot of the shopping center, located on Avenida Meridiana in Barcelona. In the attack, 21 persons died and 45 were injured. The terrorists had issued a warning to various news agencies via phone, specifying the location of the car bomb. This information, however, was not processed effectively, and the area was not cleared on time.
RIEAS-CS1 November 2, 1991 Police Patrolman Yiannis Varis is killed and six other police officers are injured in a rocket-and-grenade attack on a police bus in the Exarchia district of Athens staged by the 17 November terror group.
UUlster-CS1 5 February, 1992, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland A shooting attack on 5 February, 1992, at 2:20pm on Sean Graham's Bookmakers on Ormeau Road in Belfast, Co. Antrim, killed five people, including four men and a 15-year-old boy, and injured seven others. The victims were watching a televised race in a predominantly Catholic area when two gunmen burst in and open fired in apparent retaliation for an attack by the IRA on eight Protestant workmen in a minibus a month earlier.

The Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF), an organisation associated with the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), was responsible for the attack. They randomly shot both customers and staff alike. The families of the five victims launched civil actions to gain justice for the deaths.

RIEAS-CS2 July 14, 1992 Greek Finance Minister Yiannis Palaiokrassas escapes injury when his armoured limousine is hit by a 17 November terror group rocket near the Finance ministry in the centre of Athens, but passerby Athanasios Axarlian, 22, is killed by the blast.
UUlster-CS2 23 October, 1993, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland Known as the “Shankill Bombing”, a time bomb exploded prematurely in Frizzell's Fish Shop on Shankill Road, killing 10 people and injuring 59, on 23 October, 1992, shortly after 1:00pm. Victims included two children, the fishmonger’s owner and one of the bombers. A blue Ford escort dropped off the bombers, disguised as butchers or fishmongers in white coats. They carried a brown box approximately 15x18 inches into the shop and left it on the shop counter. The bomb was in this box, and it blew the front of the building across the road.

Because the bomb exploded prematurely, there was no time for the usual telephoned warnings to police to clear the fish shop. The PIRA was responsible and claimed that their intended target was UFF leadership who were supposed to be in a meeting in the UDA office upstairs. But they had already left at the time of the explosion.

This attack saw the highest death toll in an incident in Northern Ireland since 1987. It was viewed as a huge setback for the "peace talks" between the IRA political wing Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams and Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) leader John Hume and damaged the former’s credibility. The medical teams involved in treating the victims stated they had not experienced anything as devastating since the no-warning bomb attacks in the early 1970s.

UUlster-CS3 18 June, 1994, Loughinsland, Co. Down, Northern Ireland A gun attack at 10:20pm on 18 June, 1994, on The Heights Bar in Loughinisland, Co. Down, killed six people and injured five. The Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) was responsible and claimed it was in retaliation for a previous shooting on the Shankill Road by the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA). The attack took place as customers were watching the Ireland-Italy World Cup football match on television.

Of the 24 patrons in the bar, 11 were shot, and all in the back as they were watching the match. The oldest victim of the Troubles was killed in this incident. To date no one has been convicted for the killings, and families have expressed frustration with the consistent delays regarding the release of the police report. The police ombudsman is scheduled to reveal a number of failures associated with the attack, including a failure to identify the killers, the destruction of key evidence when the police destroyed the get-away vehicle two years after the attack, and a failure to interview key witnesses.

RIEAS-CS3 May 28, 1997 Costis Peratikos, a ship-owner involved in the privatization of the Elefsis shipyard, is gunned down by 17 November terror group assassins near his office in the centre of Piraeus.
UBurgos-CS2 13 July 1997,

Ermua and Lasarte-Oria, Basque Country.

On 10 July 1997, ETA kidnapped Miguel ?ngel Blanco, a 29 year old council of the Spanish People’s Party (Partido Popular, PP) in the small basque municipality of Ermua. In exchange for his release, ETA demanded that the central government under Jos? Mar?a Aznar should announce the transfer of all basque political prisoners to basque prisons within 48 hours. In the two following days, an unprecedented number of public manifestations were held throughout Spain, demanding his release. In the afternoon of 12 July, Miguel ?ngel Blanco was found deadly wounded by two shots from a hand gun in the basque municiplaity of Lasarte-Oria. He died on early morning of 13 July.
UUlster-CS4 15th August, 1998, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland Known as the “Omagh Bombing”, a car bomb exploded at 3:10pm on Saturday, 15 August, 1998, on Market Street in Omagh, Co. Tyrone, killing 29 people and injuring 250. The bomb was placed by the Real IRA, who provided inadequate warning for the attack.

A red Vauxhall Cavalier housed the 140kg (300lbs) of fertiliser-based explosive outside SD Kells’  clothes shop. The car was destroyed, and the entire front wall of SD Kells was blasted into the building while the roof collapsed onto the top floor. The roofs and facades of several surrounding buildings, including across the street, were also blown off. At the Pine Emporium, a nearby furniture shop, the explosion blew furniture so that it was sticking out of the windows in the back of the building. A water main under the road was even punctured, and water poured over the wreckage, washing bodies down the street.

The Omagh council has since demolished buildings near the bomb scene to help ease the pain of the attack. They have built new commercial complexes and a memorial garden. Public sentiment is focusing on moving ahead and reinvigorating commerce but not forgetting. In a civil action taken by victims’ relatives in June 2009, Judge Mr. Justice Morgan in Belfast’s High Court awarded over £1.6 million in damages to 12 named relatives, against four men held to be responsible for the bomb.

In the 30 years of the Troubles, the Omagh Bombing was the largest single terror attack with the largest loss of life in a single bomb blast. Victims included both Protestants and Catholics, two Spanish tourists, three Republic of Ireland tourists, nine children, and a woman pregnant with twins.

RIEAS-CS4 June 8, 2000 Brig. Stephen Saunders, the Defence Attach? of the British Embassy in Athens, is shot and killed while caught in early morning traffic en route to work by 17 November terror group gunmen. 
UBurgos-CS3 21 November 2000,


ETA killed Ernest Lluch with two shots in the head while being in the garage of his home in Barcelona. The body was found by a neighbour in the evening of that day, 1 hour and 30 minutes after the attack. Ernest Lluch was a 63-year old retired political leader who had served as Minister for Public Health and Consumer Protection in the government of Felipe Gonz?lez. Priorly he had been Professor of Economic History at the University of Barcelona.
URousse/BIU-CS7 June 1, 2001, Tel-Aviv Suicide bombing took place at the ‘Dolphinarium’ discotheque in Tel-Aviv.  A suicide bomber who mixed in the crowd detonated a powerful bomb, killing 21 people and wounding 120, mostly teenagers who were queuing to enter the club.
URousse/BIU-CS1 August 19,2003, Baghdad A car bomb caused explosion at the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad at the Canal Hotel, killed at least 22 people , including United Nations Special Representative in Iraq Sergio Vieira de Mello, and wounded over 100.
URousse/BIU-CS2 November 15, 2003, Istanbul On November 15, 2003, two trucks carrying bombs slammed into the Bet Israel and Neve Shalom synagogues in Istanbul, Turkey and exploded. The explosions devastated the synagogues and killed 27 people and injured more 300 others.
URousse/BIU-CS3 November 20, 2003, Istanbul On November 20, two more truck bombs exploded in Istanbul. Bomb blasts at the British consulate and the HSBC bank headquarters killed 30 people and wounded 400 others.
UBurgos-CS4 11 March 2004,


A group of terrorists with Jihadist background attacked four commuter trains in Madrid, more specifically in the Madrid train stations of Atocha, El Pozo and Santa Eugenia, which are located near to each other. In total, 10 explosions occurred almost simultaneously between 7.36 hours and 7.40 hours, right during rush hour. A few hours later two further devices were destroyed by the police through controlled explosions. 191 persons died and 1858 persons were injured during what turned out to be the bloodiest terror attack on European soil until that date.
URousse/BIU-CS4 July 23, 2005, Sharm el- Sheikh A series of car bombs targeting the Egyptian resort city of Sharm el- Sheikh was ripped on July 23, 2005. 88 people were killed and over 200 injured, making the attack the deadliest terrorist action in the country’s history.
URousse/BIU-CS5 September 12,2006, Damascus In a bold attack four men armed with grenades and machine guns attempted to storm the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria.

Syrian security forces killed 3 of the attackers and injuring the fourth, but one person of the anti-terrorism forces was killed and about 11 others were injured.

UBurgos-CS5 30 December 2006,

Barajas International Airport, Madrid.

At 9 a.m. a car bomb exploded in the car park of Terminal 4 of Barajas International Airport. The warning issued by the terrorists, in which the location of the car bomb was specified, activated the contingency plan and the area was cleared immediately. Two persons died in the attack, both residents of Spain with Ecuadorian nationality, while 26 persons were slightly injured. The building had to be demolished. It put the end to the truce.
RIEAS-CS5 January 12, 2007 The ‘Revolutionary Struggle’ terror cell fires an anti-tank rocket at the American Embassy in Athens causing slight damage and no injuries.
URousse/BIU-CS6 May 22, 2007, Ankara Suicide attack occurred in Ankara, the capital of Turkey, on May 22,2007. A powerful bomb ripped through a crowded shopping mall in the Turkish capital Ankara killed six people and injured 80 others.
UUlster-CS5 9 March, 2009, Craigavon, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland A single shooting occurred at 9:45pm on Monday evening, 9 March, 2009, as a constable from the Police Service of Northern Ireland responded to a call for help from a woman who said her house was being attacked in Lismore Manor in Craigavon. Two police vehicles went to the house and as officers stepped out of their vehicles, they were shot at, resulting in the death of the constable. There were no others wounded.

The Continuity IRA claimed responsibility for this incident. It marks the first time that a police member of the PSNI (formed in 2001) was killed by a paramilitary group. Following the shooting, Northern Ireland’s First and Deputy First Ministers cancelled their planned trip to the White House in Washington D.C. in order to remain in Belfast during the aftermath of the incident

The First Minister, Deputy First Minister, and Sinn Fein, Ulster Unionist, SDLP, Alliance, PUP and Green Party leaders condemned the attack and stated that they supported the apprehension of those involved.

RIEAS-CS6 June 17, 2009 Police Officer Nektarios-Antonios Savvas, serving with the Anti-terrorist Branch, is killed by gunmen of the ‘Sect of Revolutionaries’ terror cell in the Athens district of Ano Patissia.
UBurgos-CS6 29 July 2009,

Living Quarters of the Guardia Civil,


At 4 a.m., a van bomb exploded next to the living quarters of the Guardia Civil (Spanish gendarmerie) in Burgos, a 14-story building housing the officers and their families. Despite its massiveness and the severe damage caused by the blast wave, the explosion did not cause any fatal casualties. Still, 65 persons were injured to various degrees, and the building remained uninhabitable.
UUlster-CS6 21 November, 2009, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland A 400lb car bomb was left outside the Policing Board headquarters in Clarendon Dock, near the city centre in Belfast, at 7.30pm on Saturday evening, 21 November, 2009. The car crashed through barriers outside the headquarters. Approximately thirty minutes after the car was abandoned in front of the building, a small explosion occurred inside the car that ignited the detonator but not the actual bomb, and the back of the vehicle caught fire. There were no injuries or deaths associated with this incident as the bomb did not explode. However, due to the size of the bomb and the lack of warnings, it is believed that the intent was to cause widespread damage and serious injury. This car bomb was similar in size to the Omagh car bomb in 1998. 

Dissident republicans were responsible for this attack. Two men were seen running from the scene and a car (believed to be the getaway car) was later found burned out in a Republican area of Belfast. Some former members of the Provisional IRA now seem to be working with the dissidents, and it is believed their goal is for a large-scale terrorist incident to occur in an attempt to derail the ongoing peace process.